Inspiring experiences from around the world
Would you like to get inspired by various stories of success? The Blue Solutions Initiative promotes the active sharing of Blue Solutions, positive and inspiring examples of success, that support knowledge transfer and enable mutual learning. A structured format with a detailed description of key components (building blocks), solution implementation, success factors, and lessons learned, allows people to adapt whole solutions or building blocks to different contexts.
Our aim is to inspire others in taking action towards achieving sustainable use, biodiversity conservation, effective management and equitable governance in marine and coastal systems.
In its 5 years of implementation, the Blue Solutions Initiative used different formats to facilitate knowledge exchange and also uptake and replication of solutions (e.g. workshops, Blue Solutions trainings, regional fora, face-to-face exchange, publications, newsletters, social media).
The PANORAMA partnership and its online platform
PANORAMA is a partnership initiative to document and promote examples of inspiring, replicable solutions across a range of conservation and development topics, enabling cross-sectoral learning and inspiration. The database houses a number of thematic communities, and is envisioned to be continuously expanded with new partners and themes. The platform allows practitioners to share their stories, get recognition for their successful work, learn how others have tackled similar problems across the globe, and learn from existing best practice examples with no need to reinvent the wheel..
What is a solution?
- … help to achieve the Aichi targets of the CBD and the Sustainable Development Goals of the Agenda 2030 by responding to challenges to sustainable development and human wellbeing and contribute to biodiversity conservation.
- … are effective and have been implemented with a demonstrated positive impact.
- … consists of building blocks which are the core elements of each solution that can be replicated or up-scaled in other geographic, social or sectorial contexts.
- … follow an approach which is explained in detail here.
It is implied that solutions should be fair and just, avoiding negative impacts on people and the environment!
Be a solution provider or innovator
Go and visit the online platform if you want to allow others to take up your successful approach, or if you want to be inspired by other’s solutions and create new solutions based on building blocks.
- Supporting dialogue process to declare a regional MPA in La Guajira, ColombiaTogether with the regional environmental authority (Corpoguajira), the Ministry of the Interior and the Wayuu indigenous communities of La Guajira department, we have supported a dialogue process to declare a regional Marine Protected Area (MPA) following the Colombian Roadmap for MPAs. A pivotal step in this declaration is the prior consultation, where the vision and traditional knowledge […]
- MARE - Marine Adventures Respecting the EnvironmentProject MARE is a unique experience created with the aim to help marine conservation programs and promote culture. The project was born to support the conservation activities of the Marine Protected Area (MPA) Punta Campanella, thanks to the involvement of volunteer activists from all over Europe and beyond, who have been working constantly for 9 months, […]
- The National Marine Sanctuaries Visitor Counting Process: A Process to Inform Marine Protected Area Management & Community DevelopmentThrough the National Marine Sanctuaries Visitor Counting Process (NMS-COUNT), marine protected area (MPA) resource managers gain valid and reliable data and methods to advance predictive capability and understanding of visitors. The NMS-COUNT process is an iterative framework that allows local management and stakeholders to add knowledge of visitor use at an NMS unit through each […]
- The World’s first Conservation Boot CampFrom May 2017 to September 2019, 72 young people from 23 different countries paid to participate in Nature Seychelles’ Conservation Boot Camp program. Designed to equip young people with real-life conservation skills, the program uses Cousin Island Special Reserve, Seychelles - a 50 year old conservation success - as a training laboratory. At the same […]
- Ensuring the conservation of Olive Ridley turtles: a case study of how development and conservation can co-existThe story of Dhamra Port is the story of a major corporation and a global environmental organization working together to ensure that the construction of a large deep-sea industrial port in India would not harm a significant population of endangered sea turtles. From a development perspective, the site was perfect. However, from a conservation perspective […]
- Protected Area management on private islands: innovate finance examples from Denis and North Islands, SeychellesGreen Islands Foundation, with support from the Government of Seychelles - UNDP-GEF Protected Area Finance project, has developed and implemented sustainable financing solutions for proposed protected areas on two private islands, Denis and North Islands, in Seychelles. These will be the first private island reserves in Seychelles and, through the project, the islands will trial […]
- Inclusive conservation governance on remote islands: Lessons from SeychellesSeychelles is located in the Western Indian Ocean, between Madagascar and the Horn of Africa. It is an archipelago comprising 155 islands (as per the Constitution), spread across more than 1.4 million square kilometers of Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The Island Conservation Society (ICS), a Non-Governmental Organization in Seychelles, has been working together with […]
- Piloting Temporal Protected Areas for turtle conservation in island states: lessons from SeychellesThe implementation of Protected Areas on a seasonal basis provides protection for turtles and their off-spring during the nesting and hatching season. The Temporal Protected Area approach ensures that the turtles are not disturbed, harmed or poached during these important periods. This initiative focuses on the protection of hawksbill turtles, as they nest seasonally, mostly […]
- Sociedades cooperativas de pesca y ecoturismo sustentableEn 1968 se fundó la Cooperativa “Pescadores de Vigía Chico”, introduciendo un nuevo sistema de organización y aprovechamiento sustentable, respetando el área de captura designada y prohibiendo el uso de redes y buceo con tanque dentro del Complejo Sian Ka’an, donde posteriormente se consolidarían nuevas cooperativas pesqueras y turísticas. Su trabajo desde 1980, ha tenido […]
- Gouvernance participative des aires marines protégées du SénégalLa gouvernance participative est une nouvelle expérience développée par le Sénégal dans le processus d’organisation, de mise en place et de gestion de son réseau d’aires marines protégées. Cette démarche permet de mieux concrétiser ses engagements par rapport aux conventions internationales auxquelles il a souscrit telle la convention sur la biodiversité adopter en 1994 et […]